The DC Arboretum Eagle Nest Cam Project
Nature at its Very Best
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
‘Mr. President’ and ‘The First Lady' are a pair of mated Bald Eagles living in the most idyllic of nest sites within Washington, DC, high in a Tulip Poplar tree amongst the Azalea Collection at the U.S. National Arboretum. Last season, these eagle parents successfully raised and fledged their two eaglets, DC4 (Honor) & DC5 (Glory).
With a perfect eagle nursery prepared high up in the Tulip Poplar tree, we are pleased to announce that the first egg was laid by The First Lady on March 25 at 4:30 p.m. A second egg was laid March 28, 2018 at 2:46 p.m. Join us for live-streaming HD video and a Moderated Chat designed to bring you the best that nature has to offer!
The American Eagle Foundation and Friends of the National Arboretum would like to thank all of you who submitted names for our eaglets DC6 & DC7.
Now it is time to vote on your favorite pair of names from the 5 finalists. Voting is open from June 20 - June 25. Click here to vote.
Posting Videos and Photos from AEF Cams
AEF invites anyone to post photo and video screenshots/screen-recordings captured from these high definition cams. Since these photos and videos can be copied and duplicated over and over, we request that when you post these up to Facebook, IG, Websites, Blogs, or another social media location, the following information be included at the end of your photo/video caption: © 2018 American Eagle Foundation, EAGLES.ORG. These live feeds are the intellectual property of the AEF, and we kindly request that you do not attempt to embed or live stream these feeds on your website, blog, app, etc., or attempt to monetize screen shots or video captures. Thank you for your cooperation!
Photos, Videos, and Event Log from the Current Season
Previous Nesting Seasons
If you have a concern, we ask that you email firstname.lastname@example.org rather than call the AEF or the National Arboretum. Thank you for your cooperation.
Live Q & AOpen Live Q & A
Live Q & A / Days & Times
Scheduled Q & A’s begin January 15th.
All times in Eastern Standard Time.
|Mon||6:00 pm - 8:00 pm|
|Tue||10:00 am - 12:00 pm|
|Wed||8:00 pm - 10:00 pm|
|Thu||8:00 am - 10:00 am|
|Fri||6:00 pm - 8:00 pm|
|Sat||12:00 pm - 2:00 pm|
Facebook Live Nest Cams
As Seen On
- 4/30/18 — Business Wire: Mr. President & The First Lady's Two Eggs Soon Due to Pip & Hatch Inside Their US National Arboretum Nest on DC Eagle Cam!
- 3/27/18 — Business Wire: Famous Bald Eagle Pair Mr. President & The First Lady Welcome First Egg of 2018 into Washington, DC Nest — Just In Time For Easter!
- 3/27/18 — USA Today: D.C. Bald Eagle Couple Mr. President and First Lady Welcome Egg
- 12/29/17 —Join Bald Eagles Mr. President & The First Lady for the Official Countdown to Their 2018 Breeding & Nesting Season Beginning Jan. 1!
- 4/23/17 —Rescued Eaglet Returned To National Arboretum Nest In Washington, DC
- 3/31/17 —Mr. President & The First Lady Are Proud New Parents...Again!
- 3/30/17 —Eggstra! Eggstra! Mr. President & The First Lady Are Expecting a Second Eaglet Any Hour Now!
- 3/24/17 —Mr. President & The First Lady’s Two Eggs Are Soon Due to Hatch at National Arboretum on DC Eagle Cam!
- 3/14/17 —Business Wire: Mr. President & The First Lady Protect Their Eggs From Winter Storm Stella
- 2/20/17 — Business Wire: Famous Bald Eagle Pair Mr. President & the First Lady Have Welcomed the First Egg of 2017 into Their Washington DC Nest
- 2/10/17 — Business Wire: Watch “The First Lady” Lay Eggs in D.C. - LIVE on the Internet
- 2/07/17 — Business Wire: Internet Sensation Eagles Documented in New Book
- 12/30/16 — Business Wire: Join Bald Eagles Mr. President & The First Lady for the Countdown to 2017
- 12/19/16 — PR Newswire: Bring in the New Year Online with Bald Eagles “Mr. President” & “The First Lady”
- 6/06/16 — PR Newswire: 11-Week-Old Eagle ‘Freedom’ Fledges National Arboretum Nest LIVE on the DC Eagle Cam!
- 6/02/16 — Business Wire: DC Eagle Cam Eaglets ‘Freedom’ & ‘Liberty’ Soon to Fledge National Arboretum Nest
- 4/28/16 — PR Newswire: DC Eagle Cam Eaglets Now Have New Names!
- 4/19/16 — Business Wire: Ballot Is Open! Vote Now to Name DC Eaglets
- 3/29/16 — Business Wire: Help 'Name the Nestlings'
- 3/20/16 — PR Newswire: Two Healthy Eaglets Have Hatched
- 3/17/16 — PR Newswire: First Bald Eaglet Begins to Hatch
- 3/10/16 — Business Wire: Eagle Eggs Due to Hatch Soon
- 2/15/16 — PR Newswire: Introducing New D.C. Eagle Nest Cam
About the DC Eagle Cam Project
In 2015, American Eagle Foundation staff traveled to DC to install state-of-the-art cameras, infrared lighting, and other related equipment in and around the nest tree with the help of volunteers and experienced tree climbers. The USDA’s U.S. National Arboretum ran a half-mile of fiber optic cable to the cameras’ ground control station, which connects the cameras to the internet. The entire system is powered by a large mobile solar array (containing several deep-cycle batteries) that was designed and built by students and staff from Alfred State College and SUNY College of Technology, and was partially funded by the Department of Energy and Environment. USNA has implemented a backup generator that will kick in if prolonged inclement weather causes the solar array to provide insufficient power to the system. In 2016, APEX Electric, Inc. (Kenmore, Washington) traveled to DC to assist the AEF in successfully installing audio equipment in and around the nest tree.
In 2017, a microphone was installed, further enhancing the experience for our viewers. It was a treat hearing the sounds of the nest tree, especially the vocalizations of the eagles.
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
THE AMERICAN EAGLE FOUNDATION is a public 501(c)3 charitable organization. Contributions to the American Eagle Foundation are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. The AEF’s Tax ID Number is 58-1652023.
If you would like to donate specifically to the DC Eagle Cam Project, please make sure to use our DC Eagle Cam Donation item on www.eagles.org so we can make sure to allocate 100% of your donation to the operating costs of this project.
A Brief History of This Nest
In 2015, Mr. President & The First Lady successful raised one eaglet (DC1) before there were any cameras in their nest tree. In 2016, ‘The First Lady’ laid her first egg on February 10th, and laid her second egg on February 14th early in the morning. 'Freedom' (DC2) hatched at 8:27 a.m. March 18, 2016 Eastern Daylight Time. 'Liberty' (DC3) followed two days later, hatching March 20 at about 3:00 a.m. EDT. ‘Freedom’ fledged on June 5, 2016, at 11 weeks 2 days old. ‘Liberty’ fledged June 9 at 11 weeks 4 days old. In 2017, 2 more eaglets were raised and successfully fledged from the nest: DC4 (Honor) made its way into the world March 29, followed by DC5 (Glory) March 30, 2017. Glory officially fledged June 19 and Honor followed on June 22, 2017.